The objective of this tutorial is to help you understand the difference between the List and Week view on the Unavailability requests page and provide you with tips and tricks on how to successfully manage your staff unavailability requests.
Applies to: Managers, Schedulers, Supervisors, and Admins
Access from your: Desktop
The Week view represents a view where you can review (approve/decline) staff’s unavailability requests on a weekly basis. You are presented with an overview of all staff’s unavailability requests for a selected week so that you can compare requests of different employees.
In addition to reviewing unavailability requests, you can use this view to add a new unavailability request that you manage.
- When you access the Unavailability requests page, you will land directly to the Week view by default
- Present week is displayed by default and you can select any other week
- Approved, declined and pending requests are displayed
- You can approve/decline a single request that you’ve selected, or all requests of selected employees for that week
- In case an employee submitted a repeating request, you will approve/decline it partially - week over week. To approve/decline a repeating request in its entirety, you would use the List view
When to use the Week view
- Short term scheduling - You review your staff’s unavailability requests only for a limited future period, eg. for the next two weeks or for the next month. That is why you review staff requests week over week
- You need to submit unavailability for your staff
- You need to see approved, declined and pending requests
The List view provides you with an overview of all pending requests, sorted by their submission date.
- To review employees’ unavailability requests in the List View, enable the “Availability must be approved by management” setting. Otherwise, employees’ unavailability requests will be automatically approved once submitted, and List View won’t be available.
- When you access the Unavailability requests page, select the List view instead of the Week view for the drop-down menu
- Only unavailability requests for dates in the future are listed in List View (in case of repeating requests, only requests that contain slots in the future).
- Only pending unavailability requests of all employees that you manage are displayed
- Unavailability requests are listed chronologically by their submission date, from oldest to newest. Click on Request Submission Date for a reverse order, from newest to oldest.
- Repeating unavailability requests are indicated with a “repeating” icon so you can distinguish them from single unavailability requests
- Repeating requests will be approved/declined in their entirety. To approve only certain requests of the series, requests for a certain date or a certain week use the Week view.
When to use the List view
- You review your staff unavailability requests as they come, and much more in advance eg. in case your staff consists of students, you would be approving the entire semester worth of requests. That is why you need to be able to approve/decline repeating request in their entirety
- You approve/decline requests based on when they were submitted, giving an advantage to employees who submitted their requests earlier than others
- You are interested to see only unavailable requests that are pending, already approved and declined request is of no interest for you
If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.