The objective of this tutorial is to help you understand how to submit a new unavailability slot.
Access from your: Desktop
Applies to: Employees
As an Employee, your default status within Humanity is being available to work all the time, which is why you need to submit unavailability slots when you cannot work. Having your availability up to date will help schedulers in your company assign to you only the shifts that you are available to take.
Things to know before you begin:
- You can create unavailability slots on an all-day or hourly basis.
- You can set hourly slots in 15-min increments. The maximum duration of an unavailability slot is 24 hours.
- You can submit unavailability slots for up to 1 year in advance.
- You can set up repeating slots.
- Unavailability slots cannot overlap with other unavailability slots.
- In the case that unavailability slots need to be reviewed by management, your newly submitted unavailability slot will be in Pending status until it is approved or declined. You will be notified once the Pending slot has been Approved or Declined.
- Your management has the option to restrict the staff from adding, editing, and deleting their unavailability. This means that you can only view your availability, not submit new slots or edit and delete existing ones. In this case, contact your manager to communicate your availability changes.
The scenario outlined in this tutorial consists of the following building blocks:
- Submitting an Unavailability Slot That Does Not Repeat
- Submitting a Repeating Unavailability Slot
Submitting an Unavailability Slot That Does Not Repeat
Step 1: Go to Availability module from the top panel, as shown in Image 1.
Step 2: In the My Availability section, you will land on the current week by default. Use the calendar arrows to navigate to the week of interest and submit a new unavailability request for a certain day, as shown in Image 2.
Step 3: Click on any hour/day in the calendar to open the Create window and submit a new unavailability slot, as shown in Image 3.
Note: You can only add new unavailability slots for dates in the future.
Step 4: When you land on the Create window, you can either:
- Submit an all-day unavailability slot by turning on the All day toggle (From and To fields will be automatically hidden), as shown in Image 4a, or:
2. Submit an hourly slot by setting the start and end time through the From and To dropdown menu, as shown in Image 4b.
- The start date field is pre-populated with the date you’ve clicked on the grid. To select a different date, click on the date field and use the mini calendar to navigate to a different date.
- The start time is pre-populated with the time you clicked on the grid and can be changed to any other time in 15-minute increments.
- The end time is pre-populated with the time one hour after the selected start time and can be changed to any other time in 15-minute increments.
- In the case that the selected start and end time implies an overnight slot, it will be indicated in the window.
- The repeating option is set to Does Not Repeat by default, meaning that you will be creating a one-time unavailability slot unless you select one of the repeating options (see more in the Submit a Repeating Unavailability Slot section below).
Step 5 (optional): If you want to provide additional information about your unavailability, you can add a Note for your employer.
Step 6: Click on Save to submit the unavailability slot. You will then be redirected to the initial screen, as shown in Image 6.
Note: Depending on your organization’s policy, your slot will either be automatically approved or sent to your manager for approval.
Submit a Repeating Unavailability Slot
Step 1: To create a repeating unavailability slot, instead of the default Does not repeat option, click on the dropdown menu and select one of the repeating options, as shown in Image 1:
- Repeats weekly — The unavailability slot will repeat every week from the start date until the end date;
- Repeats bi-weekly — The unavailability slot will repeat every two weeks from the start date until the end date;
- Repeats monthly — The unavailability slot will repeat every month from the start date until the end date.
Step 1a: If you selected the Repeats monthly option, your unavailability slot will repeat on the same day of the month from the start date to the end date, as shown in Image 1a.
Step 2b: If you selected the Repeats weekly or Repeats bi-weekly option, set the day or days of the week for your repeating unavailability time slot (for example, Thursday), as shown in Image 2b.
Note: You can select one, multiple, or all days of the week for the repeating slot. If you select all days, the unavailability slot will repeat every day of the week.
Step 3: Set the end date for your repeating series in the Repeat ends on the section by clicking on a date in the mini calendar as shown in Image 3.
Note: The end date can be set up to one year in advance from the present date.
Step 4: Click on Save to submit the unavailability slot. You will then be redirected back to the initial screen, where you had left off, as shown in Image 7. Depending on your organization’s policy, your repeating slot will either be automatically approved or sent to your manager for approval.
Note: The repeating unavailability slot will be indicated with the repeating icon.
If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.