The objective of this tutorial is to help you understand how to change employees’ availability.
Access from your: Desktop
Applies to: Managers, Supervisors, and Schedulers
Users with scheduling permissions can set and change employees’ availability for them.
Things to know before you begin:
- You must have Manager/Admin, Supervisor, or Scheduler access privileges to see employees’ availability.
- You’ll find the unavailability requests from all employees that you manage in the “Unavailability Requests” section.
- You can set hourly slots in 15-min increments. The maximum duration of an unavailability slot is 24 hours.
- You can submit unavailability slots for up to 1 year in advance.
- You can set repeating slots.
- Unavailability slots cannot overlap with other unavailability slots.
- If the “Availability must be approved by management” setting is enabled, submitted unavailability slots will have the Pending status until approved or declined.
The scenario outlined in this tutorial consists of the following building blocks:
- Viewing Already-Submitted Unavailability Slots
- Creating a New Unavailability Slot that Does not Repeat
- Creating a New Repeating Unavailability Slot
- Deleting Already-Submitted Unavailability Slots
Viewing Already-Submitted Unavailability Slots
Step 1: Go to Availability module from the top panel, as shown in Image 1.
Step 2: In the Unavailability Request section, you will land on the current week by default. Use the calendar arrows to navigate to the week of interest to view the unavailability slots that have already been submitted for that week.
Step 3: Find the employee whose availability you wish to view, by:
- Scrolling the list of displayed employees in the grid
- Using the Position/Location filter to narrow down the list
- Using the Search box to find a specific employee
Step 4: Click on any unavailability slot to open the Details card and get more information on it.
Note: You can only select the future unavailability slots to see more details.
Creating a New Unavailability Slot that Does not Repeat
Step 1: To create a new non-repetitive unavailability slot > Select the employee whose availability you’d like to change and click on any given hour/day in the grid to open the Create window, as shown in Image 1.
Note: You can add new unavailability slots only for future dates.
Step 2: In the Create window, set the duration of the unavailability slots:
- Submit an all-day unavailability slot by turning on the All day toggle (From and To fields will be automatically hidden), as shown in Image 2a, or:
2. Submit an hourly slot by setting the start and end time through the From and To dropdown menu, as shown in Image 2b:
- The start date field is pre-populated with the date you’ve clicked on the grid. To select a different date, click on the date field and use the mini calendar to navigate to a different date. If you are creating a repeating unavailability slot, the start date represents the start of the series.
- The start time is pre-populated with the time you clicked on the grid and can be changed to any other time in 15-minute increments.
- The end time is pre-populated with the time one hour after the selected start time and can be changed to any other time in 15-minute increments.
- In the case that the selected start and end time implies an overnight slot, it will be indicated in the window.
- The repeating option is set to Does not repeat, meaning that a one-time unavailability slot will be created.
Step 3: Click on Save to submit the unavailability slot. You will then be redirected to the initial screen, as shown in Image 3.
Creating a New Repeating Unavailability Slot
Step 1: To create a new repeating unavailability slot > In the Create window, instead of the default Does not repeat option, click on the dropdown menu and select one of the repeating options, as shown in Image 1:
- Repeats weekly — The unavailability slot will repeat every week from the start date until the end date;
- Repeats bi-weekly — The unavailability slot will repeat every two weeks from the start date until the end date;
- Repeats monthly — The unavailability slot will repeat every month from the start date until the end date.
Step 2a: If you selected the Repeats monthly option, your unavailability slot will repeat on the same day of the month from the start date to the end date, as shown in Image 2a:
Step 2b: If you selected the Repeats weekly or Repeats bi-weekly option, set the day or days of the week for your repeating unavailability time slot (for example, Thursday), as shown in Image 2b.
Note: You can select one, multiple, or all days of the week for the repeating weekly or bi-weekly slot. If you select all days in a week, the unavailability slot will repeat every day of the week.
Step 3: Set the end date for your repeating series in the Repeat ends on a section by clicking on a date in the mini calendar, as shown in Image 3.
Note: The end date can be set up to one year in advance from the present date.
Step 4: Click on Save to submit the unavailability slot. You will then be redirected back to the initial screen, where you had left off, as shown in Image 4.
Note: The repeating unavailability slot will be indicated with the repeating icon.
Deleting Already-Submitted Unavailability Slots
Step 1: Under the Availability module > Find the employee whose availability you’d like to change.
Step 2: Click on a slot you wish to delete in order to open the Details card, as shown in Image 2.
Step 3: Click on the bin icon to delete the selected slot. If you’re deleting a repeating slot, two options will be offered:
- Delete this slot only — to delete only the selected slot
- Delete this and all future slots — to delete the selected slot and all future slots within that series
Confirm the action with Delete, as shown in Image 3. The slot will then be deleted and, along with it, your employee’s availability will be changed.
- You can delete only unavailability slots in the future.
If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.