The objective of this tutorial is to help you understand how to create custom break rules.
Access from your: Computer
Applies to: Manager(s)/Admin
Custom break rules are created by managers/admin in line with specific company policies and conditions. Enabling a break rule automatically schedules a break within the shifts.
Things to know before you begin:
- To create custom break rules, you need to have location-based break rules enabled on your account.
For more information about how to enable location-based break rules, go to "Enable Location-Based Break Rules".
- The user creates a break rule by defining one or more sets of conditions (maximum of 15).
- The minimum shift length value can be from 1 min to 24 hours, and the input field is in the format 'hh: mm'.
- Maximum shift length is an optional field. However, the added value must be greater or equal to the minimum shift length and can be up to 24 hours.
- The minimum break duration value can be equal to 1 minute, and the maximum break duration value can be equivalent to the minimum shift duration.
- The “From Time,” “To Time,” and “Break Starts At” values refer to the hour of the shift.
- Values for break start time and break duration within the same condition MUST NOT be the same as the values of break start time and break duration of other conditions.
- Break rules cannot be updated at this point, but only deleted.
The scenario outlined in this tutorial consists of the following building blocks:
- Create a Custom Break Rule
- Apply Break Rule to Location
- Delete a Condition from Custom Break Rule
- Delete a Custom Break Rule
Create a Custom Break Rule
Step 1: Click the 'Staff' module from the top-panel > Choose the filter you want to apply from the left-hand side (optional) > Click 'Create Break Rule' tab from the top-right corner as shown in Image 1.
Step 2: Type the Break Rule Name > Type the Break Rule Description > Define the values for the listed conditions in the given row > Click 'Add New Condition' tab if you require more than one condition > Click 'Save & Close' tab to save the break rule as shown in Image 2.
- Break Type: Paid or Unpaid Break
- Minimum Shift Length
- Maximum Shift Length
- Break Duration
- From Time (hh: mm)
- To Time (hh: mm)
- Break Starts At (hh: mm)
Apply Break Rule to Location
Once you have created the break rule, the user must apply it to the location so that breaks are scheduled automatically every time a new shift is created.
Switch to 'Locations & Positions' view from the 'Break Rules' view > Select the custom break rule you want to use from the 'Break Rule' drop-down next to the location as shown in Image 3.
Delete a Condition from Custom Break Rule
Click on the 'bin' icon next to the condition you want to delete as shown in Image 4.
Delete a Custom Break Rule
Select the 'Custom Break Rules' filter from the left-hand side > Click the three dots next to the added break rule > Click the 'Delete' tab > Click 'Yes' tab in the prompt window to confirm you want to delete the break rule as shown in Image 5.
If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.