The objective of this tutorial is to help you understand how you can use the 'Payroll' module to manage overtime and compile all your staff's attendance data creating accurate reports that are instantly ready for payroll processing.
Access from your: Computer
Applies to: Managers, Supervisors, Schedulers and Employees
The ‘Payroll’ tab is the central hub where you can manage overtime and compile all your staff's attendance data creating accurate reports that are instantly ready for payroll processing.
We also make it easier to export this data to 3rd-party payroll systems.
Things to know before you begin:
- You must have a manager/admin access privileges in Humanity to manage overtime and view the payroll settings.
- You must have a supervisor, scheduler or an employee access privileges in Humanity to view payroll reports.
- Schedulers can manage reports for specific locations, positions and staff which has been granted to them by their Managers.
- Employees can be granted scheduler permission to specific positions by their Managers which will allow them to view the reports linked to that positions only.
- The visibility of some report options might vary according to the permission level in Humanity.
The scenario outlined in this tutorial consists of the following building blocks:
- Payroll Reports
- 'Scheduled Hours' Report
- 'Confirmed Hours' Report
- 'Confirmed Time Sheets' Report
- View Tips in Report
- 'Work Units' Report
- 'Work Units Daily' Report
- 'Work Units and Confirmed Time Sheets' Report
- Rate Cards
- Stack Overtime
- Weekly Overtime Rate
- Daily Overtime Rate
- Hourly Overtime Rate (Special Hours)
- Payroll Settings
- Payroll Provider Settings
The 'Payroll Reports' under the Payroll tab, are the most powerful reports that not only show the Shifts/Time Sheets hours but also do the Employee Payroll calculation. These reports take into account the Daily, Weekly and Special Rates that were setup using 'Rate Card' feature.
Different Types of 'Payroll Reports':
'Scheduled Hours' Report: 'Scheduled Hours' payroll report shows the hourly 'Rate', 'Rate Card', 'Start time’, 'End time', 'Regular', 'Special', 'Overtime', 'Total' and 'Cost’.
'Confirmed Hours' Report: The 'Confirmed Hours' shows the hourly 'Rate', 'Rate Card', 'Start time', 'End time', 'Regular', 'Special', 'Overtime', 'Total', 'Cost', 'Daily overtime' and 'Weekly overtime'.
'Confirmed Time Sheets' Report: This report only shows the confirmed time sheets generated from clocking in and out using the Time Clock module.
The 'Confirmed Time Sheets' shows the hourly 'Rate', 'Rate Card', 'Start time', 'End time', 'Regular', 'Special', 'Overtime', 'Total', ‘Tips’, 'Cost', 'Daily overtime' and 'Weekly overtime'.
View Tips in Report: Once the setting for Tips is enabled from the Time Clock Settings, staff will see a dollar icon after they Clock In, which would allow staff to add the Tip amount.
This amount is available in the Confirmed Time Sheets - Payroll report.
- The report shows the ‘Userid’, 'Name', ‘Eid’, ‘Date’, ‘Shift title’, ‘Location’, ‘Position’ and ‘Start/End’ time.
- You can view the ‘Rate’, ‘Rate card’, ‘Regular’, ‘Special’, ‘Overtime’, ‘Total’, ‘Tips’ and ‘Cost’ amounts.
'Work Units' Report:The 'Work Units’ report can be used to keep track of the work units along with the rate and cost reports for the work units.
'Work Units Daily' Report: The 'Work Units Daily’ report can be used to keep track of the work units and along with the rate and cost reports for the work units for any specific day.
'Work Units and Confirmed Time Sheets' Report: The 'Work Units and Confirmed Time Sheets’ report can be used to keep track of the work units and along with the rate and cost reports for the work units for any specific day.
With Payroll Settings, you can control what your staff can take action on in Humanity application or view within 'Payroll' module.
Under 'Payroll Settings' managers can set up the 'Rate Cards' as well as the daily, weekly overtime, export format, currency settings and much more.
Under Payroll Settings you can manage:
- Overtime calculation module: This is set to 'Default', however, you can set it to the Californian module to comply with the 'California Overtime Law'. Selecting the California module will take care of the overtime you are required to pay if an employee works for more than 6 consecutive days in a week.If you have selected 'California', it is a pre-requisite of 'Implement Order 15 exception to California OT' advanced option. You may enable or disable according to your business requirement.
- Maximum Daily Working Hours: It's a global setting that will auto apply the maximum working hours rule to all staff members profiles. If different individuals within your organization have different maximum daily working hours, you can edit the employee's profile and add a custom rule for their profile. Do note that this will override the global rule you've set under the Payroll Settings.
- Maximum Weekly Hours (overtime): This is set the same way maximum daily workings hours are set i.e. it can be set globally in the payroll settings but also individually in the employee's profile.
- Deduct breaks when user requests shifts
- Employees can view Payroll Reports
- Rate of pay
- Maximum Monthly Hours (overtime)
Use alternative weekly overtime calculation: Using this mode will only put regular hours into the weekly overtime quota excluding daily overtime.
Example: Your weekly overtime quota is 40 hours and 8 hours is set as the daily overtime quota. If any employee works five shifts of 9 hours each, only 8 regular hours from each day will be counted towards weekly overtime.In this case, there will be no weekly overtime even though the "Total weekly worked hours" reached 45 (5 hours are not counted towards weekly overtime as those has already been paid as daily overtime i.e. no double overtime calculation).
- Apply overtime rules based on position
- Approve Overtime
- Allow Scheduler to see employee wages
- Allow Scheduler to see budget
- Allow Scheduler to edit budget
- Allow Scheduler to see Payroll Reports
- Number of decimals in Payroll Reports
- Implement Order 15 exception to California OT: Either 'check or un-check' the box next to the option to enable/disable this.
'Rate Card' is used to define 'Overtime' rate. Default Card is assigned to all users' profiles, any newly created 'Rate Card' must be assigned to staff members’ profiles. There is no limit on the number of rate cards you can create.
Stack overtime is used when a scheduled/worked hour is a special hour but also is in daily/weekly OT.
If the Stack OT option is enabled, income for that hour(s) is calculated after applying both special and overtime rates. However, when Stack is unchecked, only OT rate is applied.
Weekly Overtime Rate
This is the overtime rate that will be applied once an employee's weekly overtime limit is reached.
Daily Overtime Rate
You can set multiple daily overtime rules, daily overtime field allows you to set both the rate as well as daily overtime quota/threshold.
Hourly Overtime Rate (Special Hours)
Special hours are set if you are paying your employees at a different rate than their base wage rate.
Payroll Provider Settings
With Humanity Payroll Providers, It is incredibly easy to export or save payroll reports and send them over to your payroll provider of choice.
Humanity's payroll reporting integrates with the majority of leading payroll software and services.
If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy Scheduling!