The objective of this tutorial is to help you understand how you can use Time Clock Module to create or manage the staff timesheets and allow your employees to clock in/out.
The ‘Time Clock’ tab is the central hub where you can easily allow your employees to clock in/out, view the 'clocked in' and ‘on their way’ staff.
‘Time Clock’ has various ways, which make it easy to produce and organise your staff timesheets along with auto-approval rules. Being part of the management, it lets you create and manage your staff worked hours.
You can access the Time Clock in Humanity web app at any time by clicking the 'Time Clock' tab at the top of the page.
Things to know before you begin:
- You must have a manager/admin access privileges in Humanity to customise settings related to the time clock module.
- ‘Time Clock’ module must be enabled from the ‘Settings’ module.
- You must have a manager/admin and supervisor access privileges in Humanity to have complete access to use all the functionalities related to the time clock module.
- Scheduler manages timesheets for specific locations, positions and staff which has been granted to them by their Managers.
- Employees can be granted scheduler permission to specific positions by their Managers.
- Time clock widget visibility must be enabled under ‘Manage Widgets’ for an individual account.
- ‘Pre-Clock In’ option must be enabled by the Managers under ‘Settings’ module to give access to your staff member.
The scenario outlined in this tutorial consists of the following building blocks:
- Overview Tab - ‘Clock In and Out’
- Add Clock Time
- Upload Timesheet
- Manage Time Sheets
- On Their Way
- Clocked In List
- Time Clock Locations
- Auto-approval Rules
- Time Clock Module Settings
a) Time Clock Settings
b) Rounding & Restrictions
c) Time Sheets
d) Time Clock Notifications
Overview Tab - ‘Clock In and Out’
By clocking in and out you are making sure that you came and worked for the hours you were scheduled for.
Once you click 'Clock in' you will see the time clock 'Timeline' where you will see a timeline of your shift from clock-in to clock-out as shown in the Image below:
Employees will be able to use and have access to the information below according to the settings set by the Manager.
- Remote Site
- Coffee Icon
If you have clocked in accidentally, you can remove that clock in time without clocking out.
Add Clock Time
As opposed to real-time clocking in and out, if enabled by management, Humanity also allows for manually adding 'Clock Times' for management approval, which once approved will enter the timesheet system.
To add a clock time, you simply need to enter the following information:
- Clock In Date/Time
- Clock Out Date/Time
There is also the ability to select the 'Only Clock In' which allows you to historically clock in if you forgot to clock in at an earlier time.
Humanity allows timesheets to be uploaded in both .xls and .csv format. Below is the following format for the exact way to structure including the exact column names and order:
Imported timesheets will automatically be sent for approval to managers and supervisors before they are added into the staff's confirmed work-time.
To upload an overnight time sheet, make sure you add the additional column for 'end date'.
Manage Time Sheets
Manage timesheets of your staff for any selected time. You can edit, approve, unapprove and delete the timesheets as per your business requirements.
You can view staff clocked hours against scheduled hours for your selected day. Showing both pieces of information was highly requested by our customers in order to make the Timesheets approval process more intuitive.
For more information about editing your staff timesheets before approving or unapproving, go to “Edit Timesheets of your Staff”
On Their Way
‘Pre-clock in’ allows the staff to show that they are on their way before clocking in. Once your staff clicks ‘I'm on my way’ tab it will show them as 'You are on your way since' and then the time they 'Pre-clocked In at.
This is extremely popular for critical services such as nurses and emergency related industries.
Managers are able to see the list of the staff who is on their way, under the ‘Time Clock’ module - ‘On Their Way’ tab only if it is mandatory for the staff from ‘Settings’ module.
Clocked In List
Managers and Supervisors can view a list of their staff members who are currently clocked in along with the date and the time.
You can also use a ‘Clock Out’ option if you wish to clock out a staff member.
Time Clock Locations
Management can restrict the employees to clock in and out from specific stations. There are two ways to restrict your employees for clocking in and out:
- Time Clock Locations
- Time Clock Terminals
Time Clock Locations
- Humanity allows you to set up individual time clock locations that you will use for restricting the station to specific places from where an employee can clock in/out. Locations can be created in two ways: IP and Computer based.
- A 'Clock Locations' can be set to a computer. This method is preferred over IP address as it uses a 'COOKIE' which is stored securely on the computer.
Note: If you use this method, and 'Cookies' are ever removed a new one will need to be set.
- 'Clock Locations' can also be set up using an IP address which can mean multiple computers on the same IP, as well as can change over time if you do not have a static IP, with your ISP.
Time Clock Terminals
- Clock 'Terminals' are simplified interfaces built on top of 'Time Clock Locations' solely for the purpose of clocking in and out quickly.
- You can either choose ‘Full Employee Login’ or ‘Webcam’ option for your staff to use for clocking in/out.
- After creating the terminal, a unique URL is generated that you need to copy and browse in another tab.
- Your staff profiles will appear in either ‘List’ or ‘Gallery’ view.
The 'Timesheets Auto-Approval Rules' allows you to set rules for your employee's timesheet auto-approval. On clock out, if a time-sheet follows the rules you set - it will be automatically approved.
Setting up the timesheet auto approval process is based on the following:
- Timesheet Length (Shift not necessary)
- Shift Deviation (Shift necessary for the corresponding date)
Time Sheet Length
By increasing the ‘Minimum’ and ‘Maximum’ under ‘Timesheet Length Rules’, the ‘Auto-approval Rules’ will observe the corresponding timesheets automatically.
‘Shift Deviation Rules’ requires a corresponding shift to auto-approve the timesheet against that shift.
This rule ensures that, if an employee has clocked in and clocked out according to his scheduled timings, then only the timesheet can be auto-approved.
Note: Having no shift for the date of 'Timesheet' entry will void the auto-approval rule.
You can select whether you want only one rule to be followed for auto-approval or you want both the rules to be followed for the auto-approval to work.
Deviation from shift start and Deviation from shift end:
The values which we set under (Deviation from shift start +/- and Deviation from shift end +/-) allow you to set up the least acceptable time deviation.
Choosing both rules means: The timesheet must obey both the rules which are set under the 'Timesheet Length Rules and Shift Deviation Rules' to get auto-approved.
Choosing at least one rule: Satisfying any 'one' out of the set rules under 'Timesheet Length Rules' and 'Shift Deviation Rules' will endorse the Timesheet for auto approval.
That’s it, ‘Auto-approval Rules’ are created. Any timesheet that falls within the parameters of the set rules would be auto-approved.
Time Clock Module Settings
Time Clock Settings
The Time Clock Settings section allows you to manage either to enable or disable the time sheet functionalities for your employees i.e. break button, add tips, add remote locations, add position and add notes and many more.
Rounding & Restrictions
Learn how to round up the total clock time, the clocking in/out time or the direction of the clock in/out time for your employees.
Below are the related settings for ‘Rounding Clock In/Out Time’:
- Round time clock totals to nearest - for use in reporting, and is only applied to the final total - Not individual clock times.
- Round Clock In times to the nearest - encourage better employee clock behaviour by automatically rounding their clock-in times to the nearest interval.
- Rounding Direction of Clock In time - it specifies if Clock In time is rounded up, down or to the nearest interval.
- Round Clock Out times to nearest - encourage better employee clock behaviour by automatically rounding their clock-out times to the nearest interval.
- Rounding Direction of Clock Out time - it specifies if Clock Out time is rounded up, down or to the nearest interval.
Learn how to better control your clock allowances by restricting clock times before or after to the start or end of a shift.
Below are the related settings for ‘Restricting Clock In/Out Time’:
- Allow clock-in only within X before the start of a shift - you can control your clock allowances by restricting clock times before the start of a shift.
- Allow clock-in only within X after the start of a shift - you can control your clock allowances by restricting clock times after the start of a shift.
- Allow clock-out only within X before the end of a shift - you can control your clock allowances by restricting clock times before the end of a shift.
- Allow clock-out only within X after the end of a shift - you can control your clock allowances by restricting clock times before the start of a shift.
If you want your employees to have access to time sheets features, learn how to give them access to do that.
Below are the related settings for ‘Time Sheets’:
- Import time sheets - it allows staff to import upload multiple clock times at once in .csv or .xlsx format.
- Add times for only ‘x’ days in the past - Employees will be able to import, add or edit time sheets for only X days in the past.
- See time sheet notes - allows staff to see time sheet notes.
- Make notes mandatory in time sheets - make notes mandatory when adding and editing time sheets.
- Restrict overlapping timesheets - It will restrict overlapping timesheets.
If you want your scheduler or yourself to be notified if the employees assigned on the shifts may be late for the shift or your employee may have forgotten to clock out, learn how to enable the settings related to it.
If you want your employees to have access in editing time clock or features related to it, learn how to give them access to do that.
Below are the related settings for ‘Editing Time Clock’:
- Employees can edit time clocks - it allows staff to edit their clock times and submit them for revision. After editing management has to re-approve the changes.
- Prevent employees from editing approved time clocks - This setting, when enabled, will prevent employees from editing their already approved time clocks.
- Employee can edit time clock without providing reason - allows staff to edit time clocks without providing any reason.
If you want your employees to manually add time clock, you can do that under Time Sheets Section.
Time Clock Notifications
Below are the related settings for ‘Time Clock Notifications’:
- "Employee late for work" reminder for schedulers - select one or multiple time intervals when schedulers will receive email/sms notifications when an employee is late for his shift.
- "Employee late for work" reminder for managers - select one or multiple time intervals when managers and supervisors will receive email/sms notifications when an employee is late for his shift.
- "Employee has not clocked out of finished shift" reminder for schedulers - select one or multiple time intervals when schedulers will receive email/sms notifications when an employee doesn’t clock out of the finished shift.
- "Employee has not clocked out of finished shift" reminder for managers - select one or multiple time intervals when managers will receive email/sms notifications when an employee doesn’t clock out of the finished shift.
If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to reach us at email@example.com. Happy Scheduling!