The objective of this tutorial is to show the integration of Humanity with Square along with instructions for setting up and activating the integration.
Square is an industry-leading point of sale system that helps businesses of all industries and sizes manage digital receipts, sales reports, inventory and much more.
For more information about the square, go to 'squareup.com'
Things to know before you begin:
To configure Humanity with Square, you need the following items:
- An active Humanity account with administrator permissions
- A Square Employee Management account with owner role and permissions.
To Integrate Square with Humanity:
- Currently, integration supports one-way sync from Square to Humanity (i.e. data from Square will be synced to Humanity); Sync of Humanity data to Square is not available at this point.
- Syncable data are employees and their details.
- The sync is automatically triggered every 1 hour.
Note: A change in the email address of the Square Employee Management account which activated the integration will result in a deactivation of the integration.
To Sync Employees:
- Employees are synced from Square to Humanity as users with 'employee' permissions.
- During the initial sync, the employee match between Humanity and Square will be done by employee's email address.
The scenario outlined in this tutorial consists of the following building blocks:
Employee Sync Overview
Upon the initial sync, Humanity will automatically create accounts for all employees that don’t have a Humanity account.
Employee data which will be synced from Square to Humanity:
- First name
- Last name
- Email Address
- Employee Status
- Employee ID
The integration will recognize and sync data upon the following actions:
- Employee/s created in Square
- Employee/s updated in Square
- Employee/s deactivated in Square
Employee's profiles must be activated. You can activate the inactive user's accounts at once or in bulk by accessing Staff Module.
Integration Setup Instructions
Integration Activation (Authentication):
Step 1: Log in to your 'Humanity Account' and go to the 'Settings' (⚙ gear icon) in the upper right corner.
Step 2: Choose the 'Integrations Module' listed in the Integration section on the left side panel.
If 'Integrations' module is not listed please contact us at email@example.com.
Step 3: Choose the 'Square' integration from the Integrations main page.
Note: Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3 are shown in Image 1.
Step 4: Click on the 'Enable' button as shown in Image 2.
Step 5: You will be redirected to the 'Square Login' page to authenticate by entering your email and password, after which you will be returned to 'Humanity’s Square Integration' page as shown in Image 3.
Step 6: Authentication between the two apps is completed and the integration is activated as shown in Image 4.
Employee Sync Activation:
Step 1: Click on the 'Employee Sync' checkbox located on the Square Integration page’s under 'Resource setup' section and click 'Save' as shown in Image 5.
Step 2: The 'Employee Sync' has been activated and the 'Initial Employee Data' sync begins immediately as shown in Image 6.
Once it's completed, you will receive a notification email upon initial sync successful completion (applicable only if your Humanity Admin Account email is confirmed).
Note: Before you enable Employee sync via the Square integration page in Humanity, please make sure that each employee within your Square account has a First Name, Last Name, Email and Status defined.
In the ‘Sync History’ of Humanity’s Square integration page, you will find useful information about completed Employee data synchronization.
To access ‘Sync History’ click on ‘View Sync History’ as shown in the picture below.
To view more records on the page click ‘Show More’ and to close it click ‘Hide Sync History’ as shown in the image below.
Information that the Sync History table contains are:
- Sync ID - the unique identifier of each completed synchronization event
- Time Started - time when the specific synchronization started
- Time Taken - the duration of the data synchronization
- Resource - implies which data were synchronized (value can be ‘Employee’)
- Actions - implies the actions performed on data in Square upon which integration synchronized the changes (value can be ‘Create’, ‘Update’ or ‘Delete’)
- Status - implies whether synchronization is completed without (green check mark) or with errors (red exclamation mark)
All the above-mentioned data you will see in the picture below.
By clicking on ‘Status’ icon along to every ‘Action’ you can check how many records are successfully synchronized and how many of records failed to by synchronized from Square to Humanity. Please see the example in the image below.
For the records which failed to be synchronized, you will have the insight due to which error synchronization failed. Please see the example in the image below.