This document provides a detailed overview of Humanity’s integration with BambooHR along with instructions for setting up and activating the integration.
BambooHR consolidates all of your employee information from all of your locations into a single overview. You can then access, control, sort, analyze, and manage the data instantly — from your office, the road or home.
Things to know before you begin:
- The integration synchronizes the data in one direction, from BambooHR to Humanity.
- Employees’ personal data and Leave data synchronization are supported.
- Synchronization is automatically activated every hour.
BambooHR is the source of truth for both the employee and leave of absence data. Data synced from BambooHR to Humanity shouldn’t be edited in Humanity since the automatic sync will trump those changes to the original data from BambooHR.
Employee Data Synchronization
The integration will synchronize personal data for the employees that exist in the BambooHR account, for which the integration is activated.
Employee Permissions In Humanity
All employees from BambooHR will be synced to Humanity as users with Employee account permissions.
To set proper account permissions per user in Humanity, go to Staff > Click on the employee name to access their profile > Navigate to Permissions > Select the required permission level from the Account Type drop-down menu.
Initial Employee Sync
During the initial Employee sync, only the data for active employees will be synced from BambooHR to Humanity, while the data for terminated/deactivated users will be omitted.
Employee Account Activation in Humanity
Each newly-created employee account in Humanity will have the status Active to reflect that the employee is active in BambooHR. Therefore, an activation email (for password setup) won’t be sent to the employee.
If you would like to send an activation email to a single, newly-created employee in Humanity, you will need to:
- Change that user’s status to Inactive in their Humanity profile
- Go to the Not Activated list from the left side panel within the Staff module
- Choose Send Activation E-mail Now
If you would like to send an activation email to a few, or all, newly-created employees in Humanity, you will need to:
- Go to the Staff module and select the employees
- Click on the Bulk Edit button in the upper-right corner
- Select Send Activation e-mails within the Bulk Edit options
- Go to Next Step on the bottom of the page
- Confirm the action by clicking on Confirm
The following Employee data is synced from BambooHR to Humanity:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Preferred Name
- Work Email
- Mobile Phone
- Employee Status
Integration recognizes and synchronizes the data from BambooHR to Humanity upon the following actions:
- Employee account created in BambooHR
- Employee information updated in BambooHR — first name, last name, phone, email, status change, etc.
- Employee deactivated/terminated/deleted in BambooHR
Comparison of Employee Data Sync Requirements Before and Now
The previous version of the integration supported the employee match by email address. This meant that, prior to integration activation, employees’ accounts created directly in Humanity could be matched to their corresponding accounts in BambooHR. After the integration had been activated, these accounts were kept synced.
With the new version of the integration, the sole way of matching employees will be carried out via employee ID instead of via email address. It was therefore essential that, prior to integration activation, the Humanity account — on which integration is to be activated — was clean — that is, without any manually-created data (e.g. Employees, their personal data, etc.). If there is data manually created in Humanity, duplicates may appear upon integration activation.
- If an employee is deactivated and later reactivated in BambooHR, that employee will be reactivated in Humanity as well.
- If an employee is deactivated, terminated, or deleted in BambooHR, that employee will be set as deactivated in Humanity.
- If an employee’s Hire Date and Effective Date in BambooHR are set to a date in the future, that employee’s data will be available for sync to Humanity on the day of their Effective Date, in the designated time zone set in your company’s BambooHR account settings.
Leave (Time Off) Data Synchronization
Integration supports synchronization of employee’s Leave (Time Off) data from BambooHR to Humanity. Only approved leave requests will be synced, both daily and hourly.
The Leave data that is synced from BambooHR to Humanity include:
- Leave Type Name
- Leave Request Start Time
- Leave Request End Time
The integration recognizes and syncs data upon the following actions:
- Approved leave request created in BambooHR
- Approved leave request updated in BambooHR
- Approved leave request deleted/canceled in BambooHR
The integration will only synchronize approved leave requests that start or finish either one (1) month before, or twelve (12) months after, the date of the current sync. Please see the example in the image below:
- Synchronized leave requests will be visible on Humanity’s Dashboard On Leave widget, ‘Leave’ module (Upcoming Absence), ShiftPlanning module (Schedule Overview, Leave Schedule, Staff Availability) and Staff module (within the employee profile in the Leave section), as well as the Reports module (Vacations, Vacation Summary reports).
- If an employee takes an hourly leave request (e.g. Three hours on Thursday), that employee will be shown in the Leave Schedule as being unavailable for the whole day. The Manager will be able to see for how many hours the employee is actually unavailable by pulling up the Vacation Summary Report (in the Humanity Reports module). The information will be available in the Comments column.
- The date of the leave request approval in BambooHR will be visible in Humanity’s Vacation Summary Report, within the column Approved/Rejected On.
- For an accurate entitled leave balance, please refer to BambooHR as the primary source of truth for leave data. This information will not be synced to Humanity. In Humanity, Entitled Leave Days for each synced leave type will be set to 365/366 days by default.
- A single approved leave request in BambooHR will be treated as multiple leave requests after syncing to Humanity. Example: Employee requested vacation in BambooHR April 2nd to April 6th, 2020 (see image below). This one request in BambooHR will be split into three leave requests in Humanity (Monday — 1st request, Thursday — 2nd request, Friday — 3rd request).
Humanity Application Requirements
The integration user must have an active Humanity account with administrator access. Changing the integration user credentials will result in integration deactivation.
The Group Accounts Platform (GAP) module must be activated. Please contact your Humanity representative for details.
The prerequisites for Leave sync activation are:
- Activated Employee sync;
- The following Leave settings ( Settings > Leave and Availability) must be set to the values shown in the following screenshot:
- The Deduct weekends from leave requests setting under Advanced settings for the Leave module (Settings > Leave and availability) has to be set in a way that none of the days are selected. See the screenshot below:
BambooHR Application Requirements
The integration user must have an active BambooHR account with a full Admin access level. Changing the integration user credentials will result in integration deactivation.
Integration Setup Instructions
Integration Activation (Authentication)
The following steps are for authenticating your Humanity account with the BambooHR accounts:
- Log in to your Humanity account and click on the Settings gear in the upper right corner.
- Choose the Integration module listed under the Integration section on the left side panel.
- Choose BambooHR integration from the Integrations main page as shown below in the image:
Step 2: On the next page, click on the Activate button as shown in the image below:
Step 3: A sidebar will appear and you will be asked to fill in the following company information, followed by a prompt to click on the Continue button:
- Company Subdomain (customer's defined company subdomain on BambooHR account).
- Choose a Domain (customer's user BambooHR top-level domain — com or co.uk).
Step 4: You will then be redirected to the BambooHR login page to authenticate by entering your username and password, after which you will be redirected back to the Humanity’s BambooHR integration page.
Note: If you are already logged in to BambooHR, you won’t be required to log in again, but will be redirected back to Humanity immediately.
Step 5: Authentication between the two apps will be completed and integration will thus be activated.
Employee Sync Activation
In order to enable the Employee sync, the requirements of the Integration Requirements section must be fulfilled.
Employee sync activation steps:
Step 1: Click on the Start Sync to Employee Sync, located in the BambooHR integration page Sync Details' section.
Step 2: The Employee sync is now activated and the initial Employee data sync will begin immediately.
Step 3: You will receive a notification email upon initial successful sync completion (applicable only if your Humanity admin account email is confirmed).
Note: The initial Employee sync may take more than 60 minutes. No changes can be made to the integration configuration while the sync is running.
Leave Sync Activation
In order to enable the Leave sync, the requirements of the Integration Requirements section must be fulfilled.
Leave sync activation steps:
Step 1: Click on Start Sync to Leave sync located in the BambooHR integration page Sync Details' section.
Step 2: The Leave sync is activated and the initial Leave data sync will begin once the next scheduled Employee sync has been completed.
Step 3: You will receive a notification email after the sync has been successfully completed (applicable only if your Humanity admin account email is confirmed).
- If the Employee sync is deactivated, Leave sync will be automatically deactivated as well.
- Upon Leave sync activation, the following Humanity settings will be automatically set and must not be changed in order for the Leave sync to work properly:
The settings under the Current Leave Types section ( Settings > Leave and Availability) will be set to the values shown in the following screenshot. These settings apply only to leave types synced from BambooHR to Humanity:
If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.